Electrical Wires Spark House Fire, Sends 5 to Hospital | Families
An early morning blaze ravaged a home in Eatonton, sending the family of five to the hospital.
Officials say the cause was electrical. It was an overheated computer cord right next to a couch that sparked the fire.
"They talked about it like it was a campfire. It was at that wall between the 12-year-old's bedroom and the sofa," says John Selby, a family member who lives near the house.
The fire sent three -- the parents and their six year old son -- to the Augusta Burn Center.
There were three other family members that weren't so lucky -- "one big white bull dog and a little baby one, and a cat," Selby says.
Fire officials say they could not find any smoke detectors in the home.
The red cross is assisting the Evans with material losses.
But Selby says the emotional shock is the hardest part. "It's overwhelming. It's one that will knock you down and hard to get back up you know."